Carpentry and Joinery
Course available at: City
These courses are designed to help you develop the practical skills and knowledge required for a career in the construction industry.
Units may include:
• Basic woodworking joints
• Carpentry and joinery hand tools
• Carpentry and joinery power tools safety
• Constructing an external inspection hatch
You could then go on to learn how to:
• Carry out first fixing operations – door frames and linings
• Carry out second fixing – skirtings and architraves
• Erect structural carcassing
• Carry out maintenance
• Use a circular saw
• Construct a timber frame entrance
You will also learn employability skills.
What you will achieve
On completion of the course you can go directly into employment or progress on to further training such as NVQs or higher level construction qualifications in supervision and management.
The course will be assessed through practical projects plus a portfolio of evidence.
Enrichment activities could include:
• Building site visits
• Five-a-side football
• Trips to theme parks